Saturday, August 09, 2014

On the plot and.. a cat

at this time of the year every trip to Plot 202 seems to involve picking, preparing to pick or admiring (unless I'm watering, weeding or throwing away) ..

Pak Choi
Pak Choi/Bok Choi

this one  is ready to harvest as soon as it has usable leaves. The small varieties are mature at 6 inches tall and the larger types grow 2 feet tall. The baby varieties are ready in about 30 days and the larger ones are ready four to six weeks after sowing.



Melon

At least there's something..
My Melons have a way to go but are surprising in much the same way as 'a dog walking on his hind legs' (as Dr Johnston said).


The RHS has some advice on growing melons.





Cabbage

Well I like cabbage and I think that's a good thing as I seems to have a few that are getting close to edible..

This one's not for the pigeons





Sweetcorn which looks ready to eat - the BBC Gardening website advises that Corn is ready when the silky tassels at the end of the cobs turn brown then, simply twist the cob away from the plant.
[Pictures of my 'prize' cucumber to follow - ooh err missus!]
A posing Prima donna 

Sweetcorn on Friday

No comments: