Sunday, January 29, 2012
This weekend was a chance to give my incinerator (left) its' first outing - to be honest not totally sure that I've got it sussed - some advice here but for me the paper burnt (of course) but other stuff got more heated than burnt, will persevere.
You can see it looks like it's hot below.
Have also now started putting things on compost heap (less skill required).
Sunday, January 22, 2012
Managed a few hours - preservative on compost enclosure, weeding and making the edges a little clearer. Incinerator to be delivered soon.
Monday, January 16, 2012
Sunday was another bright day in West London and more progress on wood treatment also we made the addition of dwarf fruit trees (in the picture on the right from Left by the shed) Morello Cherry, Victoria Plum, Conference Pear ( and Apple (A Crisp Braeburn). The mini orchard was from GardenBargains.com - they sound like a good selection will see if they live up to their name! Even if I don't get much fruit at least the blossom should look a picture.
Also some Hawthorn hege (bare root) planted at the back -they were from http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/?gclid=CO_Uj9XN1a0CFQMntAodAjstoA
Below you can see that the broad beans and garlic are all going okay and the shallots have started to sprout.
I need to do some weeding soon as they are begining to show amongst the soft fruit bushes.
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Today was a lovely day in West London and having had a week inside a stuffy classroom in Belgium along with too many frites and and a few beers it was great to get out and spend some time on the patch.
Today Debbie applied a wood preservative on the back of the shed (from Wickes) and I started clearing the debris behind the shed - lots of edging tiles and a fair few bits of plastic emerged. The plans is to add the recently delivered hawthorn as soon as the ground is prepared.
Saturday, January 07, 2012
In the week I learnt that the spate of metal raids had hit my allotment site mainly taking plumbing at the site but also various galvanised tanks used on individual plots. Also heard that sheds had been broken into and tools taken you can see here that this is something happening at various sites
Thankfully we were not victims but it does seem rather a shame that such things happen.
I have now made a start on compost enclosure using old pallets and loads of screws and brackets- above you can see how useful my cordless screwdriver is proving and also how dark it is about 4:30 pm (rhs).
I will hopefully finish in the next week or two and might then add some prickly hedge to deter unwanted visitors- probably Hawthorn variety.