Friday, March 23, 2007

The wonder of the mighty Amazon


Now I might have managed to get rid of a book today but I’ve gained four, Affluenza, The “Sunday Times” Small gardens for Modern Living (see yesterday’s entry), the well reviewed Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (with its title hinting at the work of Richard Brautigan) and Jake Arnott ‘s Johnny Come Home.

Jake is one of the few fiction writers I’ve knowingly seen in the flesh (Robert Holles is another, but he sadly is no longer with us), I saw Jake introduce a viewing of one of the few great British Gangster films based on the Graham Greene book (rather than the Queen song) Brighton Rock at the ICA. If you get the chance to see the film or read the book of Brighton Rock please take it, the book resonates at many levels and the film allows the Boulting Brothers to reveal the life of a precociously world weary English gangster superbly played by Richard Attenborough (who incidentally went to the same Leicester school as my dad).

Jake’s own gangster trilogy being a fine canon of work evoking a particular criminal sub-culture of the 60s and 70s.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can share my views on at least one of these new books and I’ll renew my efforts to clear some further books from the shelves over the weekend.

In short, Amazon as well as discounting books delivers (away from Christmas) in an exceedingly efficient manner.

No comments: