Monday, November 03, 2014

James Lovelock and his Gaia theory along with The right to photograph

A trigger to find more

Museums and Galleries can often be starting off points on discoveries and connections.

In the science museum recently I was intrigued to read about James Lovelock -I guess his name did not mean anything to me but I was aware of Gaia in some recess of my mind.


Lovelock has and remains active in quests and inventing, theories and practice one of his key areas of focus has been the idea of the earth operating as a self regulating system this idea was named for the Greek equivalent of 'Mother Earth.

Although the theory has been heavily  criticised it has brought focus on some of the big issues around the resources and care of the planet.

Lovelock interestingly values a generalist strategy to invention and in his career refused to narrow himself as many scientists do - his achievements  around measurement devices and the early space exploration indicate that this way of working does indeed bring benefits. 

Hyde Park gallery


I was out taking pictures the other week and walking by Hyde Park near Lancaster gate it was good to see artists showing their work.
A red rag to this bull
I was surprised and annoyed to see that some of those showing their work were trying to discourage photographs being taken - this seemed negative to me (for the older analogue type there's no pun intended) -well I did take some and one guy asked me if I'd seen the sign I told him I had and that was it (I'm sure he had a view on me!).

Does he think taking a photograph will stop me (or others) buying his pictures?

Is there some idea that such a sign has any of the power of the law behind it?

On a public highway he has no law supporting him  (If I what I learned at the City Lit course The Business of Photography  from Grant Smith is correct) and I think if they were great pictures the publicity would be of benefit.




If you want to find out more go and look at Hyde Park any Sunday 



No comments: