Sunday, January 21, 2018

An NPG visit

After Moral Philosophy 2 (more about this later) and visit to the National Portrait Gallery (the NPG) am beginning to get myself (a little) familiar with the layout and facilities there ahead of course in February.

Henry Cole by Sir Joseph Boehm

Like many Galleries the NPG is hung largely, chronologically but there are rooms set aside within for say a broad chronology - like 'Politicians' for example there are of course other 'Temporary' (meaning ticketed/paid) exhibitions - I'm not sure about the overall feel of the gallery or how well it all works, still getting the 'hang' of it.


(Thomas) Ruff pictures
I was interested to see a bust of Henry Cole who was one of many important figures around Prince Albert pressing for better British Design in the 19th century.




There are some things in the NPG which I like but not sure that they should be there - for example Photographs (it was good to see that Thomas Ruff work is on show) or Sculpture.

Seeing some examples of Stained glass though reminded me of what I saw in what Gilbert & George were doing with their 'Beard Portraits.

I was though much taken with Dame Laura Knight's self portrait (with model) - really like the informal nature of the picture and the use of red in it.

A nicely composed self portrait by Dame Laura Knight.

No comments: