Saturday, January 20, 2018

Gilbert and George at White Cube

White Cube Bermondsey, big but not lovely 


On Tuesday I went to Bermondsey to take some photo's and also see Gilbert and George (who I am a fan of) exhibition at White Cube.


(Thanks to whoever picked up my hat and handed it in at the reception).


I used to be a fairly regular visitor to this part of London when I was a volunteer at the 'Old' Design Museum (as in previous location not old designs), I hadn't realised just how hip parts of the borough were though - although East London is Hipster capital there are plenty of beards bikes and beans out here too.

Non Hipsters must stay outside?


The street where White Cube is even has decorated utility boxes (like I saw in Portugal) along with sweary Coffee shop.

Of course it has long been contended that Modern Art is a 'con' I certainly wouldn't say that about all or even this rather one dimensional exhibition but it did feel a bit of a two trick pony of a show - there was something quite lovely about the large 'beardy' pictures (More about the connection I made later)  but the large swearing things are a bit tedious as they don't shock now and although the persona and performance of the boys has some legitimacy I'm not sure that it will ensure that they are celebrated in 50 years time (they're not Caravaggio or Canaletto when all is said and done)  .

The manifesto 


What it's headlined as


















Big works have craft and content but might seem flippant

Swearing is a theme

As are beards

No comments: