Sunday, October 29, 2017

My own personal Ship of Theseus and 'How things get better '

Trigger's Broom or The Ship of Theseus is great Philosophical tool  and is brought to mind by my replacement of some and cheap and cheerful garden lights with newer brighter and more efficient illumination.
New LED light -A Superior Product

It probably dates back via attempted house break-ins to when I was a teenager in Wethersfield (Essex) where one of our neighbours went a bot over the top on their garden lights - well I like slightly 'naff' garden lights.

Plastic perishes, filament bulbs are discontinued  and one by one I'm replacing the lights in our (small) back garden with super bright efficient LED units.

I like to think I'm repairing and this is a set of lights I've had for 10+ years truth of the matter is the transformers replaced too and some of the wiring - it's another version of Trigger's Broom.

Amazing how LEDs are producing a product so far superior to the old filament lights which served so well in many devices  for over 100 years.


And it's not just the back garden that's part of the LED revolution , look at car headlights and mighty billboards too.

The amazing new Billboards at Piccadilly Circus use LED technology 

RadioLab


is my current radio recommendation -it's out of the USA and artfully produced to inform on things you didn't think you cared about.

I learned about the Scientist who saved the world (by developing chemical fertilizers) and subsequently wipe out many (with Gas in World War I)  - oddly as a Austrian/German Jew Fritz Haber's science led to  the chemical gas that wiped out many of his own race in Nazi Death Camps -  RadioLab can be accessed in the UK here.

As Einstein (perhaps tongue in cheek) described the irony it's 'unrequited Love'.

No comments: