Friday, February 15, 2013

Late and early vegetables along with #54 Stoicism

On Wednesday down on my allotment I started clearing some weeds and the remaining vegetables from last year, I picked Parsnips a single sad Leek and some Sprouts. On Thursday I've started sowing some more seeds Onions (Ailsa Craig) and will be purchasing and planting more fresh seeds in the next week or so. Last year I grew Onions only from sets and I have already planted sets this winter but thought seeds could be worth trying as there are some advantages suggested here.

Number 54 of the big Ideas - Stoicism.

Now once you've read what follows you might consider my allotment labours demonstrate my personal Stoicism.
Stoics are famed for their belief in the virtues of treating both good and bad fortune with equanimity.
Stoicism was founded by Zeno of Citium who was a pupil of Diogenes Laërtius a biographer of Greek philosophers.
Famously the Sisyphus myth is considered a parable of Stoicism.
Seneca was also a famous Stoic ( and was both a philosopher and playwright)  who advised Nero.
Stoicism has much to teach us about living in the modern world as you can see from this brief video and also by listening (of course) to the In Our Time on the subject.