Thursday, January 24, 2019

Memento Mori



Perhaps it's the time we live in (but then again maybe it's been the case for the last 2,000 years or so ) but sometimes to me it feels like stoicism has been having something of a renaissance - every weekday I get at least one gem in my inbox that feels almost like it was written just for me) - here's the source  

What I was told today is take what's on offer - don't be too constrictive.


St David's in Ealing offers care 

Last week one afternoon I popped round to see an old friend (he is old and I've known him for about 5 years), soon he will move into his daughter’s home  but for the time being he’s still largely independent in his own flat– I took a bottle of Red Wine  which we shared (he probably had more than I) - the time we spent together was pleasant our discussion wide ranging.



At the weekend   I visited with another person  a friend for whom the outlook does not look good  he is  I think suffering a terminal condition and unlikely to return to his home.
Hospital operations followed by other treatments have not brought about improvements to his condition .
Vanitas Still |Life (Jan Jansz Teck)

It was clear though that from the time we spent with him that he retains much of his character and personality but communication for him is difficult and he is bed ridden, the care at the home seems good the time we had with him was I think of value.


It is perhaps useful to be reminded of what lasts and what is fleeting - if we know what is to come do we take appropriate action? Do we consider too highly the opinion of others even beyond our own?


The Dutch Golden Age often chose to reflect the phrase
"Vanity of Vanities," says the Preacher, "All is vanity  - in paintings of the time like this marvellous  example of Vanitas Still Life.

We may think we are clever and sophisticated as we seek to impress those around us but we will cease to exist - I'm not usually quoting biblical texts but ..

From Ecclesiastes 2:11,17,26

Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun…

No comments: