Sunday, February 03, 2019

Art and family in London

I hear that Bonnard exhibition at Tate is was worth a visit  – must get over there but with so many great exhibitions to see in the nation’s capital –it's inevitable that occasional miss something or get caught in the inevitable crowds at end of run.


 Now in second half of the ‘100 paintings course’ (CityLit) and we (thankfully) have got past work that focused very heavily on Saints, this week we were looking at French work and Velasquez too - quite taken with Claude, less so with Nicolas Poussin (a little too painterly for me) and I generally preferred earlier Velazquez to his later work .

I think that Christ in the House of Martha and Mary owes much to the 'Dutch Golden Age' and that's no bad thing!

A biblical message made contemporary 

Claude apparently a big influence on Turner, seems on donating works to National he required Claude paintings to be hung by his own.

Claude's influence on Turner is clear 

First visit to National Café

Diane's main course was the most photogenic 















After the lesson met up with Debbie, my cousin Andrew and his fiend Diane – very nice meal in the café, I’d not seen Andrew for some time, he lives in Wells, Somerset and is really good company – I got pictures of the food but forgot to get someone to take a ‘group shot’.

My main
Debbie and Andrew made the same choice



No comments: