Thursday, January 03, 2019

NPG and Gainsborough along with DAB Plus - throw out your DAB radios?

A Family Album
Yesterday I was at Museum of Brands in the morning (volunteering Front of House) then I went to see Gainsborough Family Album exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery -


I had not appreciated this artist too much but have spent some time looking at Mr and Mrs Andrews (and I really like this critique of it from Sister Wendy, who died recently).

 I found it a good new way into Gainsborough and his style, very nicely curated and makes one think of parallels with one's own family albums - I'm having a bit of a rethink on English/British art and its place amongst the world's best).


 I was also surprised by very vibrant works from Njideka Akunyili Crosby which were on show.



DAB + (come on OFCOM)
Not 60 years old


one of many DAB stations I listen to is 'Gold' undemanding but okay for half an hour or so - they've been saying that you'll need a 'newer' DAB receiver from January 2nd to hear the channel in London area and sure enough - they've gone!

Seems UK Radio services that are going DAB+ and older radios not compatible - FM radio sets that are 60 plus years old are still capable of receiving High Quality services -A DAB radio that's about 6 years old can't receive the services moving to DAB+ where was OFCOM consultation?

So What's DAB Plus?

As a friend pointed out a cynic might say it's  better for radio manufacturers than listeners


No comments: