Saturday, February 03, 2018

Last days of 'Monument' by Susan Hiller at Tate Modern (1st Courage)

Being at Philosophy Class on Thursday was making me consider how we choose things - I chose to go to Tate Modern after the class ands saw something which made me think (and reflect).

Monument by US (but  London based) artist Susan Hiller  made me reflect even more on the ideas of Aristotle  about life- specifically  what is courage?

The work is a mixture of Monuments to those who lost their lives in heroic endeavours  and a taped commentary from the artist that one listens to while sitting in front of the commemorative statements (one for each year of the artist's life at the time she assembled it).

The work is on display until tomorrow!

Description of the work


Take a seat and listen.

















Monument So sad - but also 'Heroic' and touching


And to look forward to


Deceit and Manipulation over 'Trade Deals' 


Okay - so what is it with Mrs May's visit to China that is so irritating to me?

I'll tell you - Mrs May doesn't make anything for export (as far as I know) - the impression that we're given by our Press and Broadcasters is that her visit to China is connected with Brexit and she's showing how a Britain outside the EU can jet over and sell items that the Brussels Bureaucrats are stopping up.



1) When you go and buy (for example a car) you make the decision I'd like that car and it's at a price I think offers a fair exchange - I won't be buying if from Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe (or German Chancellor Angela Merkel or whoever..) - a Trade Delegation can help reinforce a Country's status with the hosts but it's the product or service that's more significant.

2) The other point is that the UK is unable to make deals until the terms of the negotiations around leaving the EU are agreed - so deals are now under terms of EU.


No sure why this is not really revealed in coverage

I suppose in some ways the visit is about Brexit  but not the way the Conservatives would like you to think -the Tory Cabinet needs to sort out their stance and start leading their party ad more importantly the country.

[ Oh yes and good work from Mathew Parris in Today's Times and I'm not usually a fan of lots of people agreeing with each other  but some 'sense' being spoken in HoC here - Anna Soubry really is playing a blinder on this issue her speech very moving and shows - I think a decent woman doing what she thinks is right for her constituents - would that others too showed such courage and followed their conscience. ]

No comments: