Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Reflecting at The National Gallery (and The Arnolfini)

National Gallery - Van Eyck

For quite a few weeks (before and after my CityLit class - Looking at Paintings)  I've been wandering in the National Gallery trying to locate The Arnolfini - yes there seems to be an ongoing re-hang but I know that this picture is on the 'must see' list for many visitors (including those Russians who think there's a Putin resemblance).

[A nice commentary on the painting here]

Well yesterday as my Tuesday appointment with art I decided to take a look at 'Reflections...' exhibition and to my delight it was pretty much about Van Eyck and his inspiring of  the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.



I'm not sure how well this exhibition has been marketed - but |I really enjoyed it both the scale and content were well considered, the fact that it was not too congested helped too as did the excellent film  that positioned the works on show.

The exhibition included the only completed work by the 'all rounder' William Morris (La Belle Iseult 1857-8 ) which shows that he had talent as an artist amongst his other skills.



What is interesting too is the way that the Brotherhood who were iconoclastic at the time of their formation are now considered (or their work is)  as quite 'chocolate box-y'.

I do like the way the use of small brushes means the work looks (to me) in some instances quite Hyper-real and their use of particular items (books etc.) leads to a narrative reading.



The Exhibition felt unhurried 


Unusually the exhibition has particular mirrors on show as this was part of the inspiration than the Arnolfini featured -  this did make me smile.


The one work I felt could have been omitted (on aesthetic grounds) was the John Phillip Partial copy of 'Las Meninas' but this does help with the history of how the National Gallery purchase of the Van Eyck was such a strong influence on the Brotherhood.


I guess it's hard to imagine in our 'super- connected' world how the physical arrival in the Gallery could have such an impact on a group of students.

After seeing the exhibition I took a look as the works on show in the Gallery of Gerard David another Artist from the low countries who was active after Van Eyck - another impressive artist

Here 's The Virgin and Child with saints and donor by David

A lovely painting The Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor 

And more art that highlights the strength of  the  Netherlands artists here shown in the work of the Italian artist Antonello da Messina.

And this... Saint Jerome at his study by Antonella Da Messina  
[The exhibition also helped me realise how works are shared for exhibitions, plenty of Tate works here and also that the early acquisitions have earlier numbers]

No comments: