Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Grandeur that can seduce us

 Very interesting to hear of James Hanley - there's a great BBC Radio drama production of 'Writing the Century' about him which you can listen to on BBC Sounds at present.


The production captures a sort of struggling British bohemianism here attached to a genteel aristocratic poverty  that continues to this day.

Oddly there's a sort of connection for me  on that Hanley's only son was at ITN at part of the same time as me- Liam Hanley is pretty much the focus of the drama and as well as a journalist he was an artist - I don't recall him but will check with others to see if they do.

Impression I have is that James Hanley appears to have valued his own writing struggle, seems  he felt that his work was formed from a struggle and that as something of an autodidact he perhaps was burdened by a chip on his shoulder - anyway I recommend the Radio play and will try and find one of his books to read.


 



No comments: