Saturday, March 27, 2021

(Not so ) Smart Meters?

 

 

We had our Smart meters fitted without too much fuss this week - Ovo engineer  managed it well and they have been flexible with the work.


We got wo meters one Gas (outside) and an Electric one under the stairs to replace existing - promise is that I won't need to send off two  readings each month .

 I am a little disappointed that they seem to  have been designed with rather limited ‘ambition’,  when I was at BT Broadcast services  we looked at providing support to some solutions for  the remote metering (12+ years ago ) and it seemed the scope then was greater .

I can imagine some potential for clever stuff, being hooked up to thermostats and weather forecasts etcetera but perhaps that is in Smart Meter 3.0)?

 

Relation  in one of his more recent Government ministerial  jobs was involved with the Smart Meter rollout project and  don't think he yet has one.

I was told though  by the installer that  at least now compatibility ensures   mean a change of supplier does not mean a different meter as it once did. 

A friend of mine has had the meters installed at properties he rents out (saves him reading the meters), he's chosen not to have one in his home as he seems to think he'd like to avoid  a cut off at some point in the future, I would think knowing him he has given it some thought?  

 I don't know  if I believe the 21 million installed figure and have been given a meter that shows what we're spending, I don't really want to watch this while I can afford the bills!

No comments: