Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Philosophy Today (well actually yesterday)


 For a few years now (7 or so?) I've pursued perhaps somewhat laconically a probing brief into the world of Philosophy - it's a big  old world and I might have started rather late  but it does offer me some insights and areas of specific interest.

[In fact on further reflection and at the risk of ridicule, I realise that engagement started around the Alain de Botton  talks I first attended probably about 15 years ago}

The main place (but not only) that I have been able to take classes is London's City Lit, it has been an adventure and good to be able to experience different teachers and approaches.

What I have specifically liked  of late is the introduction of themes like Art, Freud, Guilt and now Politics.



I do find myself wondering if earlier engagement would have benefited me (and others) at times it feels like there's the sort of 'excitement' from discussion and thinking about the ideas that Chemistry and Electrical experimental kits once gave me, and the great thing is that many 'Philosophical' experiments are 'thought experiments' that you need no equipment for save a comfortable chair.     


What I am enjoying even mediated via Zoom are the exchanges with other participating students and follow ups from our course leader who is enthusiastic and wide ranging in his influences. 


My next aim is to find out more on Ayn Rand who seems influential amongst the 'Right' thinkers and also to float the idea of Universal Basic Income as a trojan horse for the left - more as it happens

No comments: