Sunday, February 14, 2021

Back on the chain gang

 Welcome back intro

It's round about a year since I regularly blogged  but have  thought fleetingly about resuming and the benefit that many ascribe to 'journaling'  in one form or another - it seems that the credits of the habit far outweigh any reported downsides. 

I hope to include a picture or two and note things of interest (the pictures may well appear on my twitter @tjbourne too) .


So after such a long gap there'll be some stuff that I've been harbouring for a few months as well as relatively new stuff)

Picture adjacent was taken Saturday morning and sky is a bit foreboding - it's odd that almost a year with very limited travel I still find pictures I want to capture around me .




Topic 1 GameStop/Wall Street Bets

Speaking with a friend (last week I think) I heard for the first time about the GameStop  story - it seems to reflect a sort of spoiler for Hedge Funds -and has  a sort of resonance with Spread betting.

If you were politically inclined it's easy enough to see it as a pointer towards some of the inherent failings of modern day capitalism (remember how all those sophisticated financial 'Instruments/products' were identified as being part of the 2008 readjustment).

From my point of view this seems to be very much an abstraction of 'traditional' business where a 'Capitalist' uses capital to acquire some form of plant to produce goods for the market with the gap between costs and sale revenue hopefully being positive  and creating a return on investment for dividend or further investment. This type of 'risk' playing is not going to lert you see a bunch of lathes spinning and sprockets tumbling off the ned of a production line.

What has now become the method of generating profit is very often highly speculative, the people from Wall Street Bets (WSB)  are not traditional traders and have subverted mechanisms which challenge the status quo being drawn into trading by 'free trading' possibilities.

RobinHood appealed to young unconventional traders with it's 'game- ified' experience and the introduction  of free trading.

 I anticipate that  I'll be looking into this further  -but until  here's a video about RobinHood to get you updated.

       

No comments: