Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Thames Water and How should we build a life?

Please- he's gone already


Really annoyed that Thames Water continue to send post to someone who live here more than 20 years ago - not for the first time I've returned letters asking them to remove form the database - expect an explosion (literal) if any further arrives in this style- it serves to  remind me how Thames Water continues to act as badly (or worse) than a state monopoly in so many ways




A Life in the making

But The Good Life is not won by 'Degree'

Interesting to hear Micky Flanagan on  Desert Island Disc recently -quite a different background from mine and a few years younger but what he spoke of resonated - insights were there too, particularly around schooling.


I guess if I was asked to reform the UK's state educational curriculum my focus would be on preparing people to live a 'full life' rather than train them for employment - to be fair for most of my education (as a child and an adult) employment has felt peripheral even though the 'state' may have wished it other.


Be great if more focus was on where I child's interest lay and that practical were accommodated (one of the best things I got was from being a Cub Scout where I learned some basic cookery) and looking after oneself physically and mentally  - other stuff could be learnt as needed, people I know train themselves in Astronomy, History and Gardening because they want to- not just to pass a (stupid) exam, a lot of UK education system is training to pass exams (and not therefore much use  in later life).

No comments: