Sunday, April 14, 2019

Ealing Library (and more of my back pages)

Ealing's Libraries seem to be under an existential threat (as do others throughout the UK) - this matters, much as Education has become a marketplace about training for jobs, the nature of the debate over their purpose seems to have moved from the original concept (or at least the idea that i was accustomed to). 

I'm not too sure how old I was when I got my first Public library card - but it was in Chelmsford and I'd be less than 10 - I remember going downstairs there and reading the newspapers (The Sun was broadsheet and had a Batman Strip).
Smaller premises now

When we moved to Braintree (I was 10)  I became a member there and started reading adult books, I discovered amongst others Auberon Waugh and John Wain and also developed an interest in books about cars.

At University I spent time in the library often looking at books with little connection to my course (architecture had some fine volumes).

When I moved to London I joined the Ealing library (it's where the Pitzhanger Gallery now is) - I've ranged widely across volumes and subjects there too, when I was out of the country (about 4 and a half years)  I didn't visit libraries so much apart from the one at Hong Kong University which I used  when I was studying for my MA.

Ealing's library moved to the Broadway Centre and I used it (as well as the one at the local university) when I studied for more further education - I was aware of many (much younger) students studying there too.

The main branch has now moved to  smaller premises next door  (and as a result been closed for several months) -

So fast forward (as they say) and now Ealing is now stepping back from the provision of Library services - this is not what should happen, of course the service should change and become more up to date.

And Pitzhanger Gallery.


As I mentioned the local Museum and Gallery was for quite a while a library, it's been closed for a couple of years and has now been refurbished reflecting its place as John Soane's 'Country residence' and being a place for contemporary Art.

The refurbished Gallery/Museum


I visited a couple of weeks back with a friend , the Sir John Soane side of things is a bit disappointing (when compared to his house in town) but the gallery exhibition was good -I like Anish Kapoor and the reflective nature  of the work on show is great. (it's on until 16th August)

Nev reflects 

Anish work 








No comments: