Friday, June 15, 2018

Documentary making (and some old friends talk Brexit)

When I was working at BT Broadcast services in the late 1990's  I had a severe case of  'itchy feet' career-wise (certainly not my only one) and  looked at doing a full-time documentary MA course at both Middlesex Polytechnic  (as it was then) and Goldsmiths.

As I recall for Goldsmiths competiton was very tight and I think got further along the road to Middlesex, the Art School where the course was run was a good one, formerly Hornsey School of Art (lots of students went on to be big figures in music for example Ray Davies and Art a personal favourite Bruce Lacey) .
JVC mini DV camera


The application required some thoughts to be submitted around subject matter and much thought was given over to what I would use as a subject.

Economics was probably the thing that stopped me going in this direction full time but I did buy a semi-pro video camera (Canon XL1)  and looked for other ways to realise my ambition.

Well I've subsequently spent quite a bit of time taking still photographs and as a result (perhaps) I've been asked to make some video recordings at an Anniversary celebration this weekend using a small DV camera - to remind myself a bit on how to use the camera (loaned to me) I recorded a local artist talking about his work, it reminded me of the fun and I might take further (a modern 'still camera' can do the same job in HD much more eadily now) .

And Talking of days at BT..

On Wednesday evening I met with 4 really nice people I worked with at BT, all doing well in work and personal situations -we met in west end of London at a Pub' and  of course when we got to chatting Brexit popped up, all somewhat (or very) unhappy about this.

Seems to me that in my circles I only know one person who (has said) that has  voted to remain - this means (I guess) this really polarises the UK, and is a battle for the 'heart' (if it had one) of the Tory party - not sure what this wing of the party will wish for next but I fear it is not a liberal modern society.



No comments: