Sunday, November 04, 2018

Toasters and Nick talks about Picasso




I was listening to a rather fascinating BBC radio programme called  'The Sympathy of Things'  (there's a second part this week) and heard about a project undertaken by Thomas Thwaites to build a Toaster pretty much from scratch

Thomas's TED talk about it is insightful and  amusing (Thomas also had a project 'living as a goat') certainly gives some focus to the fortunate times we find ourselves in.



PICASSO


Nick Pearson knows his Picasso


The previous  Monday Nick Pearson at Orchard Café (OPEN Ealing) set himself the very ambitious target of covering Picasso's works in a single 2 hour lecture.


In fact reflecting on the artist my view is that he was an example of where the Artist is greater than his works - the following day I was at London's National Gallery and marvelling at Van Eyck's  The Arnolfini Portrait - I'm not sure I've seen or heard of anything by Picasso that (for me) rivals this.

The talk made me dig out a book Picasso's Picassos  I got it (I think) as a teenager it's about 50 years old!

A book from my collection

No comments: