Friday, February 23, 2018

Charles I - the Collector at London's RA

And he was quite a collector

It's just over a week since I took a (too brief) look at the Royal Academy exhibition highlighting the collecting of Charles I 1600- 1649).

I was surprised at how busy the place was as well as the amazing scope of the work Charles had.

As well as finding out more about the Judeo-Christian faith an interest in Art can (as in this case) give something of an overview of a period of history (here the removal of the king and the  rise of Cromwell)


It is also worth noting (I think) that the English court at the time was internationalist with many connections to the continent (Charles had many works from Holland, Italy and Spain).

Highlights for me included seeing paintings of 'subjects' (biblical here) I'd seen other Artists tackle, like Titian's Supper at Emmaus (1530-35) - a great painting but so different from the representation by Caravaggio in 1601 (-Supper at Emmaus) and another version of Christ in the House of Martha and Mary - here by Hans Vredeman de Vries from about 1566.

There's  plenty of Van Dyck (famous horseback portraits of the King)I also liked Judith with the Head of Holofernes by Cristofano Allori. - I will definitely try and fit another visit in




The  guide is, I find  useful for making notes!

No comments: